Read here: Why Buy RTF / Prebuilt ARF Quad?
Good question. For beginners and starters it’s always very charming to see various videos on youtube and other sites on how people can build a killer stable quad so easily using after market parts. Hey its easy, that guy did in his video. Just order 4 motors, 4 propellers, 4 ESCs, build or order a frame, order a battery, and a Flight controller from hobby king, put them together, DIY Camera mount and you have a great stable quad built just under 100$. How amazing?
Is it really? No let me tell you the real stuff here that many beginners and starters totally missed to see and end up with pile of electronics junk that they can’t even put together and or after putting together they still end up ordering a RTF Product.
Why? Reasons are here.
It’s not that easy to just order motors, escs, flight controller, frame, props and battery and put together a quad, than it seems. Read the following and see if you know how to do that:
- You need to make sure Motor KV, motor weight and power are matched to ESC, frame and total flying weight of your quad.
- You need to match the ESCs to Motor KVs, and to current load motors will be pulling when flying at total flying weight. Its not just order 4 x 30Amp escs and its good
- You need to take pains to find the right size propellers from right vendors.
- You need to do all the soldering for ESCs, and motors connectors, then you need to solder a special connector to connect 4 ESCs to one battery.
- Many flight controllers are just plug and play these days but some flight controllers need some soldering too for ESC connectors
- Do not forget the time and effort it takes from ordering parts to building and then tweaking out a quad to fly stable. And it’s not guaranteed that it will fly well
- For Camera you will either have to order a prebuilt mount or you have to DIY make one at home.
- Plug and Play flight controller doesn’t mean connect and fly a total stable quad. It takes many days to tweak a flight controller and the quadcopter electronics to get best results and you can do it only if you are experienced. Else you end up with wobbly and flipping quads. You might get injured too. This is the most time consuming part.
- What about radio gear? If you do not have a Radio and receiver you still need to order one.
Those are just few points that one has to take into consideration when making a quad at home. Most of the time a builder ends up paying and spending more than he / she would have spent on a RTF (Ready to Fly Quadcopter)
Now why buying RTF Quad for Beginners and starter aerial photographers is good? Answer is simple and just few points
- It saves your time and Money. Everything is built, and quad is perfectly tweaked to fly stable right outside the box.
- You just need to charge battery, put your camera on cam mount and start flying
- You have more time to spend learning to fly and shooting aerial videos than reading tons of user manuals, and watching tons of videos and trying to build one quad. And building a quad can fail / go wrong, but RTF for sure never can go wrong. In case something is faulty you have full support from the seller / manufacturer.
- You can order parts in case you crashed and now that’s your learning curve when you replace parts. As time passes by, you learn everything; your flight skills are good
- Now instead of building a new quad, you can just order a new flight controller and just use the existing quad frame and motors to configure it with new flight controller and experiment with settings.
These are just few points to consider for RTF Quadcopters. I am sure you have a clear mind now on why should one order a RTF Quadcopter if he/she is beginner/starter Aerial photographer. Remember T580P+ is not only RTF but also it has a built in Altitude hold function, plus a neat Autopilot system is coming soon.